September 20, 2012

California Cherry Blossom - finally some progress!

I think it was July when I first cut out the pieces for my Cherry Blossom quilt (pattern from Joanna Figueroa's book "With Fabric & Thread"), but progress has been lacking. I pieced one block in August. But last week I decided to add two more quilts to my WIPs and then I thought to myself "Marit, you have made less than a handful of quilts in the last 10 years and now you want to have 5 going at the same time?"
Jeg tror det var juli da jeg skjærte ut delene til Cherry Blossomquilten min, men det har vært liten fremgang. Jeg sydde sammen en rute i august. Men forrige uke kom to nye quilter på gjøre-listen min og da tenkte jeg "Marit, du har sydd bare noen få tepper de siste 10 årene og nå skal du ha 5 på gang samtidig?"

No, I don't want to have 5 going on at the same time. That would annoy the heck out of me. I wouldn't be able to go to sleep at night.
Nei, det vil jeg ikke. Jeg tror det vil gjøre meg helt sprø og holde meg våken om natta.

So... I decided to get a move on it with this quilt, so the quilt top gets completed, at least. I am considering getting it quilted by a professional (all the white/negative space scares me).
Så jeg fant ut at jeg burde få opp farta med dette teppet så jeg får ferdig toppen. Jeg vurderer å få dette quiltet av en profesjonell (er så mye hvitt og det skremmer meg).

Here are my 5 blocks so far:
California-Cherry-Blossom-Block1


California-Cherry-Blossom-Block2


California-Cherry-Blossom-Block3


California-Cherry-Blossom-Block4


California-Cherry-Blossom-Block5

Now, this is where I need help!
Det er nå jeg trenger hjelp!

The quilt has 9 blocks and I have 4 colors of blocks. I don't think random placement will look good. So I have to optional layout that I'd love to get your input on (note: the sashing will be in white with pink/red corner stones).
Teppet har 9 ruter og jeg har 4 farger på rutene. Jeg har to alternative plasseringer som jeg gjerne vil ha din tilbakemelding på.

Option 1 - using the intended blocks (the beige is a little warmer in real life)
Alt 1 - med fargene jeg hadde planlagt å bruke
California Cherry Blossom Layout 3

Option 2 - skip the beige and use only 3 colors
Alt 2 - ta bort beige og bare bruk 3 farger
California Cherry Blossom Layout 2

WWYD (What would you do)?
Hva ville du gjort?


On a side note - did you know that this Saturday, the 22nd of September, there are only 100 days left of the year? Do you have a long list of things you want to get done this year (or before Christmas)? Then you should join the 100 Day Hustle hosted by Kelsey of Kelsey Sews. We're making our lists and checking them twice off.

Kelsey Sews

9 comments:

  1. I love both of them! I like the second one best of all as on my screen at least I wonder if the beige one possibly gets a little lost in combination with all the others.

    I really like the beige block and red one together though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Catherine, the beige seems to disappear a little and therefore I prefer option 2. Lovely pattern though and the beige blocks would make lovely cushions or throw pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this doesn't help, but they are both lovely. If you do decide to take out the beige, perhaps it could be some back art? Lovely pattern. It's a bit like Swoon, but simpler?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the beige! I agree with you -- in real life it is a much warmer color. It will give a nice balance to the reds and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I can't decide. I just know they are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer it with the beige, but maybe a different placement. I would put the green in the corner where the yellow is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O so pretty... Either one is perfect, but i like 2nd one just a teeny bit more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe changing 1 of the yellow blocks with a beige in your 2nd option? Love your blocks, by the way. They're so beautiful and can't wait to see it finished! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your option 1! I think that beige adds a needed warmth to the other colors.

    I just found your blog through the 100 Day Hustle link up. Excited to see your progress! :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Kind words, helpful tips, just a hello or share your thoughts - let me know you've visited!